Monday, June 11, 2012

Bathing Costume Progress

So. I fiddled around with bra (swimsuit w/ under-wire) making and decided it passed my skill and patience level. 

Looks ok, now try sewing that to a band, without everything rippling horribly. Ha!

I decided I'd really rather have a one piece any way. Enter the Alison Pattern from BurdaStyle that I mentioned last post.


 I've been making mods as I go. I lowered the leg holes and cut one of each "body" piece normally. Like lining. Then took the front piece, cut it in three and  lengthened by say 18"  to give the gathered look. So far, so good. I doubled (DOUBLED!) the size of the chest piece.... this may have been overkill. In the picture below it (the chest bit) is mostly pinned in place I am going to have to sew those pleats on the side in some way to get the under-boob bagginess fixed. I am pleased so far but haven't hit any of the hard stuff yet, like attaching the bra to the suit. I guess that's kind of cheating but....


  Also, I am pleased to learn (don't laugh) that my machine has not one but six (SIX!!!) stretch stitches, not to mention all the fun stetchiness to be had with a double needle!  I guess for as long as I've been sewing I'm still have soooo much to learn.

P.S. Can any one tell me their experience with a ballpoint needle versus the "stretch" needles? Seems to give  the same results, either way, at least no skipped stitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment