Saturday, March 24, 2012

Trunk-tastic

Here she is, fresh from the closet after years of neglect. Complete with non functional combo lock. That I can't get off. I see a hack saw in my future. 
The Victim

I probably put at least a half dozen coats of Ebony stain on these bastards, but the stain wasn't taking very well. I ended up with almost black legs, with a lot of the wood grain showing.  


Lets face it I'm cheap, so instead of picking up a can of Killz, I bought a .99 cent can of white spray paint. Next, I used Rustoleum's heirloom white. I had left over from dresser, so I only needed one can. Then the fun part. Glaze.
FYI There are NO instructions on this, not even drying time, so read up online!
This stuff was....interesting.. to work with. In the sunlight outside it's hardly visible as a color, it just looks sparkly and transparent.  You can hardly tell it's there.
Without the flash
 It's a different trunk with the flash on. ...Wait, I can see spots I missed now. Awesome. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow. Next time I'll see about mixing with a bit of paint or something to increase the opacity a smidgen, and I'd chose a slightly darker non-metallic if I could do it again, because it's a little too bling-y for me.
With the flash.



 Total damage: 
Legs- 14.20
Paint -4.94
Glaze- 5.48
Misc BS (drop cloth, nuts, washers, foam brush)- about 3.50
Wood Stain- on hand
Trunk- remnant of band camp glory days- priceless




No comments:

Post a Comment