Monday, April 23, 2012

Camel Back Sofa

I've been kicking myself for buying this sofa....couldn't figure out what fabric to put on it... whine. bitch. moan. Then I saw this:
Go ahead, wipe the drool off your keyboard.
I decided to be one of the cool kids. One trip to Home Depot and $40 later I had my fabric. Canvas drop cloth (think about all that fabric, roughly 13 yards.... for 40 bucks!) So here she is sans fabric. I forgot to get pictures of before I had all that batting on there but.. well you know. I wish I'd gotten a pic of the roll of dacron too, I swear it was easily 4 feet across. Even smooshed up it hardly fit in the back of my car!
Padded out and ready to go!
I bleached the drop cloth for 4-5 hours. It didn't lighten up much, but after being washed it turned out to be fairly soft an nice smelling :) Also very wrinkled. I thought "Why iron all this fabric when I'll be pulling it really tight?" I found another blogger who seconded this theory of non ironing laziness. I was wrong on this and though I can't say I've ever ironed a couch before, it went really well. No really. 


I still need to make the cushion (just one cushion) and put the back piece on. Oh and the front of the arms. Then I'll make a boat load of pillows for it and...

Stenciled sofa pillows inspired a new pintrest board. http://pinterest.com/rabid_glow/sofa-pillow-ideas/
I love the "grain sack" throw pillows, but I can't stand that you can find these things everywhere, even hobby lobby. So I'm kicking around some other things. I love mattress ticking and old architecture and history and texture..... I'm trying to figure out a good mash of these things. Something that represents my interests without being gaudy or heaven forbid, clashing. Please feel free to pin onto that board!

2 comments:

  1. Your sofa looks good. I have seen furniture covered in canvas before and I like it. The nice thing about the off white is that you can make pillows in colors that pick up on what else is in the room. When you get tired of that a set of new pillows lets you start over. Canvas wears well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously looking forward to seeing how this goes XD I like the cream color

    ReplyDelete